But we rallied and we went and it was fun! Before the wedding we toured the Tabasco factory on Avery Island. It was neat! I have a new found respect for the hot sauce.
That night we attended my cousin's wedding. Alice was super cranky but we looked simply smashing!
And I've thought a lot about being 35. 35 just seems so close to 40 and I cannot imagine 40. At all. There is NO WAY I can be close to 40 - I still don't know how to do my own makeup. But on the other hand, there are some things I do know:
1. I am much more committed to my own opinions and I am working on worrying less about meeting the approval of others. I'm grown. It's time.
2. I am not anywhere near where I thought I would be at 35 but I can't imagine being anywhere else. I am where I should be.
3. I can't blow my nose. It's just.....gross. Nope.
4. I occasionally say 4-letter words. I didn't start this until much later in life, however breaking the habit has been challenging.
5. I now have red lipstick! I'm not really sure how to apply it but I have it!!
6. I will never be over my fear of roaches. Ever. And this is not a fear I have any desire to face or overcome. Period.
7. I say "I'm sorry" a lot. Like, all the time. For everything. Lately Alice has started saying it too for reasons she has nothing to be sorry for. I do not want this for her. I have to adjust how I speak.
8. I am 20 pounds lighter than I was last year. I am so very proud of us and how hard we are working to be healthier.
9. I miss bread.
10. And buttered noodles.
11. I NEVER thought I would like gardening and yet our garden is just so neat! I cooked with basil out of our own garden last night. It was fun!
12. If I don't want to do something, I just say 'no'. If it doesn't make my heart sing, I'm out. Ain't nobody got time for that.
13. Friendships are easier now. We're grown and less worried about being better than the other one. Let's just talk and vent and reminisce and laugh. There is no need for added pressure.
14. I still call my mom every day.
15. It doesn't matter how old I get, I want to see the magic Alice sees. I want her imagination to thrive and her sparkle to never dull. That is my ultimate goal.
And that's what I know for now.
So I'm just going to pretend 35 is no different than 34 and I'll save the meltdown for next year.
Until then, this is 35.
Until next time......