Y'all, March and I do not get along.
And I never heard from them again. I called almost every day because they needed to contact my Hematologist to discuss what would need to be done with my medication.
I called to leave my cell number.
I called to leave my Hematologist number.
I called to say, "I can't have surgery next Monday without instructions from my Hematologist" about a MILLION TIMES!
I was told all of these things were being added to my chart.
Because I understand the seriousness of my medications, I emailed my Hematologist the afternoon I got home from the surgeon's office. His nurse said she would call me by end of day or the next day with directions. And I never heard back from her either.
The next Monday I called and spoke with someone else in the office who I could tell wouldn't be helpful. And Tuesday I finally contacted my favorite nurse. I don't like to call her first because I'm pretty sure it's not her job! She isn't really my doctor's nurse! BUT she loves me and she's good at her job.
She immediately lets the PA know she needs to call me.
My right arm has been sore for a few weeks now and my joints have been a bit puffy. And once again, I worried about a blood clot. So at 4:30pm on Tuesday night, I loaded Alice in the car and I headed to the ER. Hint for future reference: if ever you need to go to the ER, say you think it's a clot. They pay attention really quick.
As I'm filling out paperwork, the PA from my Hematology office calls. I let her know where I am and she says "you could have called me, I would have ordered a Doppler." GIRL!! DO NOT START!! I've been trying to get SOME SORT OF MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL TO CALL ME BACK FOR 4 DAYS!! No ma'am. I am in no mood.
So I have my 5th Doppler scan and my arm is blood clot free. The ultrasound tech gave me some sass about being worried about blood clots when I'm actively taking Coumadin. He hinted that I should just be more compliant with my doctor's orders.
Honey, you do not know me. With my history of clots, I try not to mess with that. I was on blood thinners for my entire pregnancy and my placenta was still covered in clots. So what, I have an ER bill now. It's better than throwing a blood clot at home in front of my 4 year old. He apparently had the same condescending comments for the ER doctor who quickly told him people with Antiphospholipid Syndrome and Lupus markers can still clot on blood thinners. Bless him. It made me feel better about going in.
Thursday rolls around and I am at a loss. After school, we take Alice to the Livestock show. While there, my favorite nurse calls me. "Ummm, (the PA) said you were in the ER! What is going on!"
So I tell her. I tell her everything. I end it with "and now I'm freaking out because there's a 10% chance this is something serious and I am the ONLY ONE concerned!!" She writes everything down and vows to make something happen. Bless. Her. Melissa is my favorite.
She starts harassing the surgeons office. She mentions that with everything going on, the PA will probably want to see me. Greeeeeaaaaaaat.
Friday morning I FINALLY hear from the surgeon's office. It was the nurse asking for the phone number to my Hematologist office. Nope. I'm out.
I hear from Melissa who wants me to come in that day to meet with the PA.
I pack Alice up again. (When I mention I need to go to the doctor, she now asks if it's my Boob Doctor. Probably this is my fault.) I go over the timeline with my PA and she does an exam. She mentions they have a Breast Specialist on site so I take her card for the referral. She also mentions my Hematologist is also an Oncologist that handles this kind of stuff. I know this. I just went a different direction! He doesn't usually give me breast exams so I went with my OB. And plus, he's a boy.
But I should have started with him. And now I'm only going to them. They are Texas Oncology after all. Now I know I will get the information I need and it will all be in one place. Plus, they validate parking.
I sign the paperwork to get my results sent to my Hematologist. The PA called this morning to tell me that Dr. Foote would like to do a MRI before they just start cutting on me. This seems reasonable. So now I'm waiting for my MRI to be scheduled.
And I still haven't heard from my original surgeon's office.
I hope to have better answers soon.
Like, really, really soon.
Until next time.....