Sunday, November 27, 2011

More lessons in Pet Parenting

I get home from my hour with masseuse BFF Lydia and my Beloved asks me to look at something by Atti's ear. He's all wiggly with excitement (the dog, not the husband) so it takes some quick moving to get a good look. And it's a big fat Tick. YUCK!!! This might be damaging my calm.

In order to get the dog to settle we give him a calming pill and Daniel holds a treat so I can pick off the offending creature. With tweezers in hand, I spring in to action! OK, so less spring and more squeal. Regardless, I pick the ugly thing off, throw it on a napkin and Daniel smashes the heck out of it. Take THAT nasty beast! We search him all over and can't find any more.

With Atti being medicated we decided to take him with us to Mom's. I'm telling mom about my braveness and she says we might be ready for parenthood! I then tell her it's how I plan on handling bullies - simply pluck them up and smash the heck out them! Which makes her amend her original comment adding - "well, there might be a few more lessons to learn..."

Anyway, we get back in the car last night and while I'm looking at Atticus I notice there is something near the spot where the tick was. Once home, we get him to calm down and I'm attacking his head with the tweezers again. And it's another tick! Crap. We search his ears for the second time in one day and find two more. I smashed the heck out of those ticks!

This is out of control so we head to Walmart for Tick repellent. I'm walking super fast and Daniel asks me what the rush is. "We're under attack Daniel!! There are ticks all over us!" He no longer worries about what other people think about what I say - he gave up a long a time ago. We find the pet section and he asks me what we should get. "Everything that says tick!! Just put it in the basket!!" as I'm scratching like crazy. This is what we end up with:
The yard has been treated, the dog has been treated two different ways and no longer cares when we come at him with a flashlight. Hopefully we have this under control and the nasty beasts aren't biding their time for a counter attack. So gross.

I'm thankful Walmart stays open late and sells everything under the sun (that might be the nicest thing I've ever said about Walmart). I'm thankful for a sense of humor and a good natured husband. And I'm thankful for a dog that doesn't seem to mind his crazy parents. ;)

Until next time....

1 comment:

knfellers said...

Hey! My dogs had ticks a while ago, and I discovered that the fleas meds I was giving him weren't also for ticks, so you might also check your flea meds to see, and ask the vet to switch to something that is also anti-tick next time so there's no repeat of this incident. lol.