Saturday, April 11, 2015

A Tisket, A Tasket

Let me start by saying that it cracks me up at the things my Beloved gets worked up about. For this story, it's her Easter basket. 

For Alice's first two Easters, we didn't do too much. We used a small felt frog basket I found in the dollar section at Target; however, this year she needed a little bit larger one for her school's 'Egg Hunt'. We started looking at the beginning of March since we had all month. Our first search was unsuccessful and then March fell apart so we didn't get the chance to look again until the weekend before Easter. This meant we only had 4 to choose from because Hobby Lobby was through with spring and setting up for Christmas again. I jest....a little. The options were diminished regardless. 

Every time I suggested a basket, my Beloved said it wasn't big enough. He wants this basket to be the one she has for years to come. Fine. We find a plain yellow basket that meets his size requirements and might be sturdy enough to last until she's in college, we'll see. But it needs something so I pick out some ribbon and spend a few minutes adding some color. I only burned off two of my fingerprints with the hot glue gun. I'm not sure why I try to craft.

After looking at it again, we decide it's too big to take to school. Her class only has 4 kids including her in it so she can just take her frog basket. 

While we're looking for the basket, we have to get candy which I leave up to the Dada. She NEEDS a chocolate bunny and candy corn and jelly beans and so on. We also pick up a bubble machine, sidewalk chalk and Popsicle molds. I picked up some stupid grass (I loathe Easter basket grass) and load up the basket. I leave a lot of the candy out thinking Daniel got the candy for himself. 

Him: But the candy corn carrot is for her!
Me: She doesn't need candy corn.
Him: but it goes with the chocolate rabbit! Get it, it's in the shape of a carrot!
Me: Oiy vey

So I add the candy corn carrot but I leave out the jelly beans.

Him: But those are for her too! Easter is all about jelly beans!
Me: Uh, I'm pretty sure Easter is about our Lord and Savior dying for our sins!
Him: Try telling the jelly bean people that!

Yeesh.

I load the basket up and show him. 

Him: It looks good! But shouldn't there be more grass? You know, coming out of the sides and stuff?

Yeesh. Again. 

The day before the egg hunt, I decide to get her frog basket ready only I can't find it anywhere. I tore up the house looking for it. It's been on the same shelf for MONTHS until the day before the egg hunt. When Alice gets home from school, I ask her if she can find it. She brings me every frog from her room except the basket. So she went to school with a Sesame Street bucket she got from a friend's 2nd birthday (thanks again, Henry!). I still can't find that frog. 


She didn't really care what was in the basket and got grass all over my grandmother's house. But she was happy!

We LOVED the bubble machine....while it lasted. I'm not sure what she did to it but it only blows one sad bubble at a time now. 

Oh well. 

So, Happy Easter! a little late....
Until next time......

No comments: