Friday, October 27, 2017

An Update

I haven't mentioned my boob in a while. How refreshing! However, I know some are curious so here goes the update....

Since my last post, I developed a third abscess. It was, by far, the worst. Luckily, it was also the last. 

I stopped going to physical therapy. I have a hand massager that I use on my own at home. It seems to do the trick.

We've tapered my steroids. 

I've plateaued in the healing process. It's discouraging. 

I have one little knot left and it seems to be super comfortable. It's not growing, but it's not shrinking either. 

I left my massager at home while we were on vacation and it did grow a bit. I saw the doctor when we got back and she noticed it too. She also wanted to see what it would do with no steroids so I was told to finish my pills, give it a few days, and see her again.

I took my last steroid on Sunday and by my appointment on Thursday, the spot HURT and the tissue around it was swollen again. 

This isn't surprising. Everything we've read about this stupid disease says it's a long process to heal. Most articles listed 6 - 12 months and we're only at 6 months since diagnosis and treatment. I've come a long way and I've made lots of progress!! But it's a marathon, not a race.

So I'm back on steroids. 

The end goal is to get the spot small enough to surgically remove, however, the tissue around the spot must also be disease-free or this will happen again. With that being said, I will continue the steroids (it's a small dose) until maybe next spring, that way we can ensure all of the tissue is healed. 

Since acquiring me as a patient, my surgeon has had two more cases come to her. 

And all of a sudden I don't feel all that rare anymore, how gross! ;) 

Just kidding. 

Until next time.....

No comments: