Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Santa Shop Shenanigans

I accidentally ended up on the PTO board. They called me to see if I wanted to be on it, I asked for more information on the positions, I got a ballot with my name next to Secretary. And here we are. 

Every year the PTO hosts a Santa Shop. A company provides little gifts so kids can shop for their parents and loved ones on their own. It's mostly cheap trinkets but the kids have fun shopping. I do not usually get to help because it's during the school day and also it deals with handling money and that's not my thing. However, yesterday they needed someone last minute and I happened to have time so I got to help for an hour.

The hour was highly entertaining. 

I should note that I do not know how to speak to little kids. I talk to them all like little adults which is why Alice's sass game was ON POINT at 2 years old. For example, I called one of the little kids 'babe' yesterday. She said "babe?" with a look on her face the clearly said 'what is wrong with you?!' Girl, we don't have enough time to cover that.

The kids come in with an envelope of money that has a list of people to buy for and also the amount the envelope contains. The kids come down during their Specials time (music, PE) so they come in groups and it's like herding cats with lots of grabby hands and all the questions. And with the little ones - you have to read everything.

Here are the highlights....

Me: Hi! Who are you shopping for today?

Kid A: My mom, my dad, my sister, my grandma and me.

Me: Okay, who do you want to start with?

Kid A: me!

Me: Yeah, how about we start with mom?

***

Helping a little boy shop for his dad.

Him: I like this trophy, what does it say?

Me: It says #1 Brother. You're not shopping for a brother.

Him: That's fine, my daddy will like it.

***

I have one little girl hand me her envelope and tell me she has $20 so we proceed to spend that $20 only when we open her envelope at the check out - she has $3.25. We had to start all over. 

***

One little girl had a World's Greatest Grandpa magnet she said she was getting for her grandma. I told her they had one for grandma and we could switch it for that one. 

Her: no, I like this one better.

***

I was helping a set of twins shop for their loved ones and they were drifting towards a table with the higher priced items. 

Twin 1: ma'am, can I have this?

Me: No ma'am, it's over your budget.

Twin 1: what's a budget?

Me: girl, nobody knows....

***

One little girl picked up slime for her brother. As she was standing in line, she decided to put it back because her mom doesn't like slime. Bless her!

***

Another little girl bought a dog toy because she wants a dog and is trying to convince her mom to get her one. Her mom also wrote "just let her have fun" on the envelope which made me smile because that mom gets it.

***

I do not usually handle any kind of money transaction. I panic - EVERY TIME. P-A-N-I-C. But this was easy change so in theory it wasn't going to be a problem. I still asked the other adult in the room to check my change because math. She calmly told me just to count up like that makes any more sense to me. Nope. 

It was very entertaining and I hope all the parents have a wonderful sense of humor about what they get to open on Christmas morning. We did try...

Until next time.....



No comments: