Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Difference a Year Makes

For the first time in six years, the Rodeo is starting without me. And it’s both refreshing and heartbreaking.

If you asked me March, 1, 2010 where I would be March 1, 2011 – I would have told you I have no idea. I knew where I didn’t want to be but I had no clue where life would lead me. I had no clue what skills I had or what I could offer an employer. I couldn’t imagine how I was going to use all of the things I spent several years learning. I didn’t see how they would fit in to anything else. I thought I offered nothing, worried I had learned nothing. Until I left.

I learned how to read people and how to handle several different personalities all at once. I learned when to stick up for myself. I learned how to make forms, organize a Studio, maintain a Tape Library, schedule crews. I learned a little patience and self control(ish). I knew what it was to be a part of something big while working with great people. I learned how to handle deadlines and quick turn-a-rounds. I learned a smile doesn’t hurt and distractions don’t either. I learned my breaking point and that it can be moved. I learned what a great boss looks like.

All lessons I didn’t know I was learning. And all lessons that helped to get me where I am today.

I don’t regret any time I spent there and I don’t regret leaving either. It was time to move on. But as I pass the Stadium every day and I know what’s going inside the gates – I get a little sad. I do miss my friends. :)

Daniel came home last night and asked why I looked sad. I said “the Rodeo is starting without me.” To which he rolled his eyes, took the Lord’s name in vain and had a glass of Jack Daniels. My poor, sweet husband. I promised it was only a moment and won’t last the next 20 days. And it won’t. Because I really am glad the Show is going on without me. And me without it. And I don’t miss the Chicken smell….at all.

Until next time….

No comments: