Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Week in Review

We had a short week!

Which meant we had a LONG week.

Let's break down the highlights.

Monday my Beloved got to stay home for Labor Day. But it was less than relaxing. It started out fine! And then things went wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. First, Atticus wanted out; then I hear him barking with intent. I go to check and sure enough, a cat is on the porch. A very skinny, sickly looking cat that apparently has a death wish. All I kept thinking was "of all the porches in all the neighborhood, you had to die on mine." Atticus and said cat proceed to tussle before we can get the dog in the house. In his defense, it was HIS porch and he IS a dog. Daniel checks out the cat and it doesn't look to be freshly hurt. Hurt yes, but not by our dog. So he calls animal control knowing they probably won't send anyone out on a holiday. Sure enough, the poor cat is just going to have to keep dying in our backyard. I spend the next hour bawling over a cat that isn't ours and what a horrible world we live in that people would discard a pet so flippantly. 

We pack up to run an errand. When we return, we have no water. Again. I only discover this after I go to wash my hands after giving Alice some snacks. Again, my Beloved calls the city. By the way, when you call the city on weekends or holidays, you call the police dispatcher. Fun times. She sends out the on call guy to check the water situation. He finally arrives and Daniel heads out to talk to him. It's taking forever so I head out to check. The on call guy is leaning on his water-turn-offer device chatting with my husband. You see, he's having a hard time getting off because his boss is out on paternity leave and his elbow hurts. So he asks Daniel to help him turn the water off. Seriously. Apparently we have a busted pipe somewhere and the water just isn't getting in to the house. Oiy. 

So we pack up our child who is now sporting a pinwheel beard we have no way of cleaning off and head to Nana's. Her TV is magic.



Tuesday,  Daniel heads to the house at the crack of dawn to meet his parents so he and his dad can fix the leak. (This is where I take a break to mention how thankful I am that he has his dad in his life to help with such things. It makes me happy.) They're able to locate and fix the problem pretty quick. Meanwhile, the cat was staggered out of the yard. After the water is fixed and turned back on, Daniel decides to rest before he cleans up. Side story - they're doing construction in our neighborhood. It's a mess. It sucks. It has caused a MASSIVE water leak at the end of our street since the beginning of the long weekend. My Beloved decides to clean up only to discover the water has been turned off again. This time by the city FINALLY fixing the MASSIVE leak. Seriously. 

He decides to call Animal Control to come get the injured cat so they can humanely take care of it. We hate to see things suffer. Well she shows up, takes a look at the cat and asks Daniel if he has a pet carrier she could borrow. Umm.....excuse me?! Apparently she forgot her pet carrier when she got the "go pick up an injured animal" call and had to go back to the office to get it and then come back to get the cat. Had I been present, I might would have caused a scene. I don't do animal control; however, I'm PRETTY SURE the FIRST thing you should pack in your 'Animal Control' marked vehicle is a pet carrier. 

I'm losing faith in our city employees.

I spent all of Wednesday removing items from our child's mouth. A magnet, pages to a book, the computer plug, a Post-it-note pad and a nail file. The nail file caused the biggest fit but luckily she immediately located the baby saline bottle and started chewing on that.

On the upside, Alice and the dog did play nice all day.


Thursday I had a doctors appointment which meant we got to visit with our L&D friends. They love seeing our girl and we love visiting them!
Friday meant the Exterminator was coming so Atticus (who HATES him) and the baby (who is indifferent) got to go to the Post Office with me.  I asked how it went and my Beloved tells me we have Roof Rats. Come again? You might remember our rat dilemma. Well, they went away! We were happy! A few weeks ago we started noticing acorns on the porch. This is odd considering it's screened in. So Daniel points this out to the exterminator who examines the poop and announces we now have Roof Rats. I mean, come on!!!! (Apparently ground rats have round poo and roof rats have pointy poo - now you know.) So the acorns are their snack. Our back porch looks like the floor of a steakhouse meant for rats. 

All this nature is messing with my blood pressure. 

That brings us to today. We got up very early to meet our friend, Libby with Captured Moments to take some family/1st birthday pics. I can't wait to see them! She did SO GOOD!.

Here's a sneak peek from my phone. This picture is mine, don't judge. ;)


Such a cute little mess she is.

And tonight we got to attend a NICU reunion at the Children's Museum. She loved the bubbles!

And now we're going to bed. 

Until next time......

Hopefully things will simmer down.....

No comments: