Monday, September 8, 2014

I might be too old for this.....

We started school. I took a quiz for the first time in a LONG time. Alice came home with a fever.

And so it begins.....

Let's start out with my school experience so far.

This is what I know - people are RUDE. Grown people will show up late, interrupt a teacher, walk around during class, lie and cheat. It's so very disgusting. And every time they do something super rude, I get all sweaty and nervous. It's like high school all over again. 

Right now, I only have my Wednesday class. My Tuesday/Thursday class doesn't start until next week. On the first day of class, she had us pick Study Groups and we will have joint assignments due each class period. I loathe Study Groups. I do not study well with people. People are distracting. 

My class is extremely diverse in ages. There are several fresh out of high school, a few my age and a handful of older ladies. There is only one other person in the class who has a degree besides me. On the first day, we had to introduce ourselves. All I said was my name, my age(ish) and what I was going to school for. Everyone else gave their life stories. Nope. Not me. 

We had our first study group gathering after last Wednesday. It was as magical as I thought it would be. We have a quiet girl who doesn't seem to want to work ahead, a girl who doesn't listen to instruction, a very bossy girl and then me. I know what you're thinking, "um, aren't you the bossy one?" YES! But I do it with such grace that you don't realize you're being bossed until you're halfway through completing the task I've assigned. My boss skills are a gift. Hers - not so much. I managed to do my assignment during the additional week we had to do it. She did not. So instead, she tapped her little impatient finger on my book and told me to go start typing. Me and Little Miss Bossy will not make it through this semester without a scene. She then went on to ask personal questions that she doesn't have any reason to know. No ma'am. This is not my first time in college. I am not here to compete. My main goal is to get through the class without ever having attention drawn to me. Her goal is to be the Teachers' Darling. I overheard her tell the teacher after class how she should handle the next class because there were some faults in how she was currently handling it. 

My eyes almost popped out of my head. Class #2. 

This was after the girl next to me LIED to the teacher about keeping her quiz sheet. LIED TO HER FACE! The teacher isn't dumb! And there I was stuck between the teacher and big, fat liar, liar pants on fire. I might need to find a new place to sit. The stress. 

So we got through the first assignment. 

I stopped to talk to Daniel and the other Library ladies I know. They asked how it went and I groaned, "I don't like people". My Beloved,"Alice is in school for socializing. Timberley thinks she's past that." Exactly! 

I'm not here to make friends. I'm not here to compete for Teacher's Pet. I don't want to be the best in the class. I don't want to be the loudest. I just want to get through it. 

See, I might be too old for this. 

I spent a lot of time studying my note cards the week before my first quiz. When I got to class, the loud women in the corner (who CONSTANTLY talk and interrupt the teacher and thanks to Little Miss Bossy, the teacher now knows cheated on their first quiz) were going over their note cards for what was probably the first time because they were getting them all wrong. I had to plug my ears. 

Maybe I should look in to online classes....

Until next time....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes... Yes. Online classes RULE!