Monday, September 28, 2020

Dear Sister

Tami,

I wrote you a sappy letter on the eve of your wedding so it only seems fitting I write one on the eve of your next great adventure. I promise to add some humor because when I talk about parenting I try to be brutally honest and my parenting skills are totally sketchy. Here goes....

Soon you will get a new title. 

Soon you will be daughter, sister, aunt, wife and mom.

MOM!!

That's a title you waited a long time for. A title you fought for. A title you will shine at.

Being a mom is the greatest most stressful thing ever. You have this tiny little human and it's your job to raise it and teach it and nurture it all while it is actively making your eye twitch. ALL THE EYE TWITCHING! And then this sweet little child looks at your face and smiles and NOTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD MATTERS! Nothing. Baby smiles cure almost any bad mood. Almost.

Being a mom means sleepless nights, cold coffee and mystery stains. You prefer cold coffee and you own a bunch of scarves so you're ahead of the game!

Being a mom means there will always be someone who needs you unconditionally, who loves you even when your patience is thin and your words are harsh.

When you are a first time momma, all the people will tell you all the things. Take it all in but listen to your gut - not the masses. Your Momma Heart will tell you what your baby needs so trust it.

People will say "cherish all these moments, you will miss them one day." This mumbo-jumbo is ridiculous. I wouldn't go back to a teething baby if offered all the money in the world. Nope. It is perfectly okay to not cherish every moment of motherhood. Period. 

It is also okay to fail. When things are hard and you are tired, you will scream and cry and question everything. This will make you angry with yourself and you will think you are a bad mom. But bad moments don't make you a bad mom. Call me, I'll tell you all about my bad moments. 

You will get to spend the next few years sharing firsts with your little one and that is hands down THE BEST thing about being a parent. 

First smile.

First giggle.

First time seeing Christmas lights.

First time holding your hand.

First tooth.

First steps.

Everything will be a first and watching your child experience things for the first time ever is the coolest thing. It's just so magical. 

For the first few weeks, all you will do is snuggle a sweet baby. Sleepy snuggles on the couch are fabulous.

Take lots of pictures because they grow so fast! And while there are moments I wouldn't go back to - there are a ton I would. So document everything to visit again one day. Record all the baby giggles and gibberish and the milestones that matter to you. 

I know you are going to be a fantastic mom because you have been an amazing Aunt. The way you are with Alice is so precious and watching you two these past 8 years has been a beautiful privilege. She is SO EXCITED to meet Sawyer. And we are so thankful he wasn't born on her birthday. For reals, there is only so much she is willing to forgive you for, Poopie. I mean, seriously. ;)  

I am so stinking excited for you. My heart just cannot take how ready I am to meet Baby Bean.

I know this has been a super stressful and disappointing time to have a baby but my hope is that the time you and Jon have together in the hospital, just the three of you, will make up for all the moments you didn't have. You are going in as a couple but will come out a family of three! Eeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!! 

I look forward to watching you become the Momma you've longed to be. I look forward to talking to you about mom things. I look forward to returning on the loud gifts your husband has given Alice. I have an entire Amazon list saved so prepare your heart. ;)

Congrats on your new adventure and all the sweet moments coming your way. 

Love you,

T.



No comments: