Sunday, November 8, 2020

Policies vs. Decency

Disclaimer 1: This post will not focus on policies. There has never been a politician I have ever agreed with or believed in with zero concerns. I rest assured that there is not a single politician with my best interest at heart. Neither major political party is out for what's best for me or you. Period. 

This post will be about how thankful I am there is a possibility for a less than hateful man to lead this nation. A better example of a leader to our children. This post is about how blindly following a horrible man due to 'political policy alignment' should never outweigh common human decency - in my opinion.

Four years ago I sobbed at the blatant and open hate that won the highest title in the nation. I shared my views on it then. They haven't changed. 

For four years, I've watched his followers gain a louder, prouder voice. I've seen the flags and the hats and things in his likeness and I've often wondered if it's how Sodom and Gomorrah looked right before it was turned into salt. There can be no denial that this is anything other than idolatry. 

Let's look up the definition in case there's confusion....

* idolatry (noun): extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone. 

He was never God.

He was never the savior. 

He was never a patriot.

He is flawed.

He is broken.

He is reckless.

He is Hate personified.

He is not the example I want for my child.

And now I can be hopeful that there is change coming. 

Yesterday, I sobbed because for the first time in 5 years, I will be able to watch a President speak with my child in the room with no worry about having to have a lesson on anti bullying. 

I won't have to say things like "that's not how you should treat people" or "that's not how we talk about people" or "NEVER in your life let a man speak to you like that." I won't have to have any of those lessons fostered by our soon-to-be President. 

Disclaimer 2: I am NOT saying he is without his flaws. I am saying his main motivation doesn't appear to be division.

And that's just so refreshing. 

I listened to the President-Elect speak last night and he never spoke with hate. He didn't insight action against anyone. He didn't blame anyone. He didn't encourage crowds of people to cheer for the demise of anyone. He didn't say any horrible things about the current leader.

He spoke of family and faith and unity. He quoted bible verses. He included and welcomed everyone. He appealed to a nation divided and promised to attempt to help it heal. The people in the crowd were crying and smiling with happiness.

Let me pause again and stress I do not align with some of his policies. However, I truly believe he's a better example than who we currently have leading our nation.

I watched our Vice-President-Elect speak with so much joy! Forget political party alignment - she is the very first woman to hold that title. As a woman, I wept. As a mother to a daughter, I wept. Alice will never know a world where there hasn't been a woman in that high of a leadership role. And THAT is a beautiful thing. 

Disclaimer 3: Again, I am NOT saying she is without hers flaws. I am saying she has broken through a glass ceiling for all the little girls sitting at home hoping to make a difference some day. And that's something special. 

I am thankful soon the rhetoric should change. I am hopeful the non-hate will be louder than the hate for the first time in 5 years. I am anxious about what the next few months will look like. 

But today. Right now, here's to a new hope.

Disclaimer 4: I acknowledge this is my personal viewpoint. These views are not shared amongst all of my family or friends. I will not debate about it - it will not sway them. It will not sway me. It will only stress out my blood pressure medicine. This is just my public recording of the words on my heart. One day, this will be all Alice has of my words and I want there to be no confusion about where my heart was aligned. 

Until next time...


No comments: