Thursday, March 28, 2024

Healing is Itchy

**This post is a TMI medical post. This is your warning.**

For the first time in Alice's educational career, I am missing Field Day. This makes me so very sad, I've gotten emotional a few times today. BUT I have a very good reason for missing it.

Last Tuesday, I had a hysterectomy. 

Who has two thumbs and no uterus?! 

THIS GIRL!! (points to self)

For years, I have had terrible cycles. Debilitatingly painful, heavy, inconsistent cycles. I have requested surgery and have always been told the same thing - "with your medical history, no doctor is ever going to be willing to do that. Periods are just painful sometimes."

So I've managed with muscle relaxers and heavy pain meds that don't work. I've stayed in bed with the lights off in the only position that doesn't hurt. I've lost sleep due to pain. I've sat with a heating pad for hours hoping to relieve a little bit of the discomfort. 

Nothing helps. But, you know, periods are just painful sometimes.

My yearly visit arrived and I wasn't able to schedule with my usual OB/GYN. My medical system works to where I can pick any doctor available. So by chance and availability, I met Dr. Beasley in December. 

I told her my history and my issues. And for the first time, I had a doctor say "well, let's order an ultrasound and see if there is anything additional going on."

She listened.

I had the ultrasound and was diagnosed with adenomyosis. This can be treated with hormone replacements however, due to my clotting condition, I can't touch a hormone. So, the only other way to fix the problem is surgery. And this doctor looked at all the things, thought about it and said, "since you haven't had a clotting issue in so long, I think we can do that."

Any surgery for me means I have to bridge my clotting medication. I have to switch from my normal medicine to one that stays in my system for less time. I go from pills to two shots to the tummy daily. This bridge happens leading up to the surgery and after the surgery until my INR is up to where it needs to be to be therapeutic. (I'm still taking the shots and they are the lamest part of this process.) 

Because of this - I had to see a hematologist. (If you have been with me for any amount of time, you know my spiritual gift is collecting ologists.) I met with one originally years ago when I moved over to the Kelsey Seybold system. She said their Coumadin Clinic would handle my results and I shouldn't have to see her again. Well, now I had to see her only I didn't want to drive that far. So I met a new hematologist closer to home and she says she wants to actually see me occasionally. I mean, that's fair. 

We scheduled the surgery for a Tuesday knowing I would need to stay the night because my doctor wanted to be able to start my blood thinners again. My mom stayed with me and we had a nice time.

Surgery took a bit longer than planned due to extra scar tissue. Everything went well though and I have had zero issues with the healing process. What ever anesthesia did to keep me from being nauseous - BLESS. THEM. I was up and moving around Tuesday evening with no issues.  

The doctor came by Wednesday to check on me. She showed me pictures of the before and after. Before they started the surgery, they found blood in my abdomen. Because my uterus is the gift that keeps on giving, I started my period two days before surgery - one last gift. She said I had undiagnosed endometriosis and have been bleeding in to my abdomen for some unknown amount of time during my cycles. The colleague she had with her told her it was one of the worst cases she's seen in her 20+ years of doing this. 

That's on brand for me.

I came home and told my Beloved I spent years feeling like I was being overdramatic and that my pain was way worse in my head than in reality.

Because periods are just painful sometimes.

In my years of collecting ologists, I am quick to find a new doctor if I feel like they are not listening. However, I have not been that way with my OB/GYNs because maybe the pain is just bad to me. Had I not ever scheduled an appointment with this doctor, I might not have ever had the validation of knowing something was really wrong. 

I am so thankful for this life improving surgery. For a doctor willing to take the extra step. For an anesthesia team who knew their stuff. For my supportive Beloved who took care of all the things. For my Mom who is my best medical advocate. For my loving village who stepped in to help with Alice. For the same village sending me pictures of Alice today at her very last elementary Field Day. For an abdominal wrap and Tylenol (the good drugs made me itchy because of course they did.) For the two extra drawers we'll now have in the bathroom. For not having two women in the house on their cycles at the same time (this hasn't been an issue yet - but we know it's coming.)

My incisions are healing. My stomach is bruised. I'm a little itchy because the healing process is itchy. My heart is happy.

It wasn't all in my head.

Ladies, if you are hurting and your doctor is diminishing your pain - find a different doctor.

Because periods should not always be that painful sometimes....

Until next time.... 




No comments: