Thursday, November 22, 2007

Blood Clots and Tummy Shots

This one is going to be a doozy so hang in there.


So I got up from the couch a week ago Sunday and my leg felt funny. Tight, it felt tight and looked a little purple. I thought maybe I was sitting funny and just went to bed. Well, the next morning it’s not better. And unfortunately I have a highly overactive imagination and access to a computer so like the rest of the world of today – I self diagnose. I ALWAYS self diagnose. I self diagnose so much that the people in my life have learned to laugh it off with the “Oh my, what could it be this time” attitude. Because it’s always something horribly dramatic; I might also have the tendency to over exaggerate a bit. :) I go the whole week walking funny with my purple leg convinced it’s a blood clot, which then leads me to believe I’m one sneeze away from a Pulmonary Embolism because unfortunately I’m well aware of what that is.


So Friday comes along and I decide enough is enough and I go in to an Urgent Care center. The doctor there looks at my purple leg and tells me it might be a blood clot. They take some blood and set up an ultrasound for Monday. That’s three days!! I may or may not have a leg full of blood clots! I’m a bit in freak mode. So my wise mother drives me to the ER where they do some scans and immediately have me admitted. Apparently my paranoia and overactive imagination got one right! My left leg is full of blood clots.


I got to spend the weekend and then some in the hospital – oh yeah! They ran all the tests and apparently my blood clots are a result of my use of birth control pills. So I’m cut off, forever. And I may or may not be on blood thinners forever as well. Now I’m home. Mom still has to give me shots twice a day in my tummy and I’m going in to have blood drawn every other day. I feel like a pincushion but I’m thankful.


Every stumble in life should teach you a lesson; this particular adventure taught me a few. I am loved. I have people in my life that truly adore me. My Daniel loves me and I am one lucky girl. And the lesson that scares me: my faith isn’t that strong. When faced with a leg full of blood clots and the possibility of an embolism - I panic! I was so scared! I couldn’t rest assured that everything was in His hands. It’s like I forgot. What does that mean? It seems God and I need to work on our relationship these next few months.


So my leg is no longer purple but forever changed and life goes on....thankfully.

No comments: