Monday, December 29, 2008

The Ghost of Christmas Past

Yards are now covered with sad deflated Santa's, casualties of a Christmas season gone to quickly. It is such a let down every year! We spend weeks decorating and preparing and wrapping and with one tear of a bow, it's gone. Piles of wadded up wrapping paper and deflated yard decorations are the only things left. It all goes by so fast!

This was our very first married Christmas. It was different! It was nice and strange. :) This was the very first time in 27 years that I did not wake up at my mom's house on Christmas morning. That was the strange part. Daniel and I spent Christmas Eve with my family and Christmas Day with his. We had a fantastic time with both sides but it was a little different. Christmas morning was almost the same. Travis is a late sleeper on every day of the year but Christmas. Travis would wake us up early to open presents and see what Santa left. This year I was looking forward to sleeping in but alas I married an excitable man. He wishes me a Merry Christmas and asks if I'm ready to open presents. "What time is it?" I sleepily say from underneath my warm blanket. "It's 7:30" he replies. "In the MORNING?!" I say, "no, no I am not ready to open presents" and I went back to sleep. Presents will open just the same at 9:30am as they do at 7:30am. And they did. :)

Mom recently bought a little DVD burner to transfer her home movies from 8mm to DVD. Daniel spent Saturday working on dubbing a few. Old home movies are hard to watch. They're full of a different time when everything was new and innocent and Dad was present. I have a hard time watching them; it's hard to hear his voice and not get emotional. I'm glad to be able to get to still see and hear him but sometimes it makes the heart hurt. One of the videos was Christmas 1986. It started with two very sleepy girls coming to find what Santa left for them. It was neat to see the toys and remember all the fun times. I wish everything could stay pig tales and Pound Puppy's forever. I wish the magic and play of childhood could remain forever. How awesome would that be?! But no, you eventually have to become an "adult" with car notes and insurance and bills, YUCK! I miss the years of Christmas past when all I had to worry about was which present I was going to play with first. Those were good times. :)

And now 2009 is but a few days away making 1986 that much more in the past. 1986, wow, that seems like a million lifetimes ago. But no matter how long ago it gets, I still love my Pound Puppy! :)

No comments: