Thursday, August 13, 2015

Hello from the Surface of the Sun

It's August in Texas so it's 9 MILLION degrees. This isn't anything new and yet every year we claim, "this is the hottest it's EVER been!" because our ability to forget the heat is a special southern survival gift we possess.

And this week has been MISERABLE. 

Like, 'turn off all the lights, close all the blinds, and hope the sun doesn't creep in an inch' miserable. 

It's the only time you take your showers with only the cold side on because it comes out scorching hot anyway. In several months, I will complain loudly about how long it takes for the hot water to warm up. Only right now, I'd love to wash my hot hands in cold water. 

You avoid any activity in which you need to put any amount of clothes on that goes beyond short shorts and tank tops. And in the event you do decide to dress up, by the time you are ready, you're sweating bullets and no longer in the mood to leave the house. 

I had an errand to run the other day only our outdoor thermometer read 105 degrees in the shade and I said, "nope!! It can't wait!" It went up to 107 before it leveled out. It leveled out at 107. Y'all.

The ground is cracked and leaves are wilting and anything done outside has to be done between the hours of 3am - 6am if you want to avoid melting. Seriously. You will melt. 

This heat makes you cranky and mean and sticky and gross. 

Unless you're an almost 3 year old who doesn't care that it's 9 MILLION degrees. She doesn't think it's hot! She thinks it's PLAY TIME! And she wants to crawl on me and sit on me but it's too darn hot for closeness. Nope. It's the no touching months of summer. The sit-WAY-over-there-and-don't-breathe-on-me days of summer. 

I'm ready for our winter. 

Until it's been cold for like a week and I have to wait 8 YEARS for the hot water to warm up...





No comments: