Saturday, August 29, 2015

We Survived.....Mostly

We had Meet The Teacher this past week. Hallelujah! They're letting her back in! I had a dream mid summer that the director called and said they prayed about it and felt like Alice just didn't fit into their program. I woke up in a panic. However, her teachers were happy to see her. She will be in the class she was in on Wednesday's last year (and for most of May after the biting incident) so while some of the kids will be new, her teachers remained the same. I am so very thankful. I have complete confidence in these teachers. I hope they have a good year.

And I am so thankful she's going back next Tuesday. SO! THANKFUL! 

I LOVE our child, however, I am ready for a break. She is busy, spirited, LOUD, dramatic and determined. And we have been at a battle of wills for the past few weeks. If this is 3 - I'm not going to make it to 4. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel at all. The dog and I need a vacation. We have been her only playmates for most of the summer and we are SPENT.

We didn't manage to master potty training. I'm hoping that watching the other kids at school will encourage her more. I've decided after we are through this box of diapers, I'm not buying anymore. Lord, be with us. She asks to go but it's usually after she has already gone in her diaper. Sometimes she's super excited about getting on the potty, however, other times it looks like it will be a battle. I'm not physically fighting with my child to get her on the potty. I think it's counterproductive. We shouldn't be miserable and I don't want a fight every time we go to the potty. 

The new battle this week has been getting into her car seat because all of a sudden she thinks she's grown and can ride in the front seat. It is a screaming battle every time I put her in the car. We do not tolerate fits. When she has a tantrum at home - she is sent to her room until she calms down. Every time. However, when we're getting into the car, that's not an option. She screams bloody murder, I scream bloody murder and we fight until she's in her seat. It's so very frustrating. 

Then I feel like the worst mom in the world because I was so horribly impatient with her. It breaks my heart that I've had to yell but I am just so at a loss that I can't see any other option. I feel like Reese Witherspoon's character on Sweet Home Alabama, "why do you make me be mean to you?!" 

Why must a yell for her to HEAR?! For her to OBEY?! 

Kids. They break you.

Our 7th wedding anniversary is on Monday so in an effort to give us some alone time and me a break, she is spending a few days with Nana. We had such a horrible afternoon yesterday that I cried for an hour after she left mainly because I felt like I NEEDED to be away from her and that made me feel like a colossal failure. 

I know I'm not. But still, you feel how you feel. 

I know once school starts and there's a break and a routine, things will settle. I know as she gets older, boundaries will be pushed and we will need to adjust. I know lessons will need to be learned. 

And I know I will find joy in her silliness and her imagination and her happiness. Because she is a very happy kid. Even on days she's fussy and difficult, she's mostly happy. 

Yesterday I frustratingly sent her away and today I miss her. 

We'll end on a happy note because while this week I am tired, I am ALWAYS proud to be her mom. 

Last week we took a sheep picture. I don't post them here as often but I still post them once a month on Facebook. We look at old sheep pictures and she wants to do what Baby Alice is doing. She's grown a bit....



Seriously.

She'll be three in less than a month. This one snuck up on me. 


With school starting next week, I will hopefully have more time to blog. 

Thanks for sticking with us.

Until next time.....





No comments: