Friday, September 4, 2015

Nothing good happens before 10am

Let me tell you about our morning yesterday. 

First, let's start with the night before. Wednesday afternoon my sweet friend, Danica and her sweet daughter, Esa came by for a visit. With them they brought all of Esa's old princess gowns. Alice is very in to being a princess right now and they wanted to pass on the fun. She is now the proud owner of dresses for the following princesses: Belle, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Ariel, Aurora (also Elsa from Aunt Kelley) and a cute Dorothy dress. She LOVES them. She doesn't really want to wear them but she loves looking at them.

One had a small spot on it so we gave them all a bath with some Woolite. The Dada rung them out and we hung them to dry in our tub. 

This is what it looks like to be a girl mom. It's glitterific! (Side note: we now have glitter EVERYWHERE. My Beloved loathes glitter - this might break him. Last night he came into the living room and said, "I feel like Ke$ha". It made me laugh. Bless him.)


After Alice went to bed, we moved the drying rack to her bathtub since we wouldn't need it until the next night. 

Now we're to yesterday.

My Beloved had to go in early so I had to take Alice to school. As I was getting ready, she walks in to our bathroom and says, "MY DRESSES!!! 'Ere they go?!" I tell her we moved them to her tub and took her in there to show her. I glance up and in the corner of the tub is the BIGGEST ROACH I HAVE EVER SEEN. Instant internal panic. I have tried SO HARD to keep my cool when it comes to roaches for Alice's sake. And it took ALL of my control yesterday. This one wasn't dead or dying. This one was preparing for flight. I can't even.

So I calmly tell Alice there's a bug and we need to back away. I grab her basket of books. I go back fours times to rescue the dresses all while watching the offending creature. Then I grab the can of roach spray only we're almost out and it only sprays a half inch of poison which doesn't reach. Nope. That will NOT do. All it does is make the stupid thing turn around. 

I maintained my calm THE ENTIRE time! That's HUGE, y'all!! H.U.G.E. I tell Alice to stay in my room and I shoot it with the Wasp and Hornet version - it shoots 22ft!! I don't want to have to stand right over a bug to spray it. I want to spray it from around the corner, behind a closed door. What Raid needs is a drone option. Dear Raid - get to work! So I spray it and slam the door. I then spend the rest of the morning process listening to it fly around the bathroom in anger. 

I got Alice dressed and I took her to school. Then I came home and closed the second bathroom door. I debated about rolling up a towel and shoving it under the door to keep anything from escaping, however, that was much too close so I told myself it wouldn't make it out.

All before 9am. 

We spent the remainder of the day treating the guest bathroom like it was surrounded in crime scene tape and jumping at every little strange sound. We were a house under attack. Vigilance is key to survival.

My Beloved gets home and heads in for retrieval and removal. Only he can't find it.

I found it under her step stool in front of the sink. I KNEW it was going to come out! Daniel moved the stool and said, "That is a HUGE roach". SEE!!! I TOLD YOU! He offered to take a picture as proof but then the nasty thing wiggled and I lost my $#*%. "JUST STEP ON IT!!!!!"

So he closed the door and handled it. 

I'm still TERRIFIED but I'm trying to maintain control when Alice is around. A few weeks ago, I handled a few spiders before she got up. (Seriously, they all pop up at once!) So later in the day when I found the dead roach in the corner of the living room, I was done. I just put a yogurt dish over it. A week or so later, we found another dead one in the living room. Alice brought me her yogurt bowl from her play kitchen. Oops. I picked it up like a big girl though. 

I don't want her to be terrified of roaches but I don't want her to love them either. 

Nope.

Until next time......

No comments: