Thursday, October 1, 2015

Sucker Punched

Every Thursday the director at Alice's MDO lets the kids get a sucker from her candy bowl. Most of the time the bowl is in her office and there's someone talking to her so we skip it. It seems rude to interrupt a conversation for a Dum-Dum. No big deal! Alice doesn't know any different. Most of the time I've just woken her up and she's barely aware of what is going on anyway. Honestly, I didn't even know it was a thing until way late last year. And bottom line, she doesn't really need one. 

Last week, we skip it again. No biggie. Like I said, it's not on my radar. It's not a habit so I don't think to go in and grab her a sucker. Most of the time she's halfway asleep in my arms. My priority is to get her in the car with all her stuff. That's it. 

Only the slightly older sister of a girl in Alice's class notices and totally calls me out in the middle of the driveway. 

"Hey, that little girl didn't get a sucker. HEY! Why didn't she get a sucker?! WHY DIDN'T YOU LET HER GET A SUCKER!! MOM! Why didn't her mom get her a sucker?!"

Yeesh. 

It's not like the kids spend all day talking about what color sucker they're going to get. They don't have that many words yet! When she's older and there's more excitement about it, maybe it'll be a big deal. Right now, if she doesn't see it - she does not care.

Until last week. 

Alice asked for a sucker all the way home. 

Thanks, kid. 

Today the candy bowl was on a stool outside of the office so it was easier to notice. I told her to pick one out. It's right at the exit so kids swarm to it and Alice who has her father's "I don't want to be in the way" mentality calmly stands aside until it's her turn. Which takes FOREVER because it's EVERY ONE'S turn. Luckily she finally got to grab a candy.



She dropped it halfway through the store and learned the hard lesson that while most of the time suckers are super sweet - sometimes they just suck. ;)

Until next time....

No comments: