Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Good, the Bad, and the Funny

The Good
Daniel and I started a new diet/workout plan last week. And I am SO proud of us! We are determined!

So far the diet hasn't been very hard and the workouts are actually WORKOUTS. They're only 30 minutes and you switch up which you do every day. I loathe the yoga. LOATHE. I lack the grace and balance needed to execute a yoga move. It's my least favorite. 

We're doing really good! Even when Daniel has to go in early, I workout on my own and he does his 30 minutes when he gets home. We're sticking to the diet which is more about portion control and making sure you're eating the right things. We're trying to make smarter, healthier choices. The challenge has been feeding Alice who thinks brown rice and wheat pasta are the worst tricks we ever played on her. The. Worst. 

In just one week, I was down 5lbs!! I was SO excited! I felt better (sore, but better) and I thought I was looking a little thinner too. I was feeling confident until....

The Bad
Sunday we were at mom's house. An old work friend was coming by to pick up a piece of furniture mom didn't need anymore. We haven't seen each other in years and the first words out of her mouth were, "look at that HUGE belly!"

And just like that - all my good feelings were gone. 

"Nope, it's just fat!"

She felt HORRIBLE and I'm not writing this as a form of further punishment. My intent is not to call her out or make her feel worse. My intent is not to question her friendship or to have you do the same. I had a rough day - this is my outlet. She apologized a million times over and I know still feels horrible about it.

I spent the rest of the day in tears. It's amazing to me how quickly I can crumble when it comes to self worth and self image. I'm such a girl.

I KNOW this is a looooooonnnnngggg process and it's not about the weight as much as it is about being healthy. So this morning, I pushed it extra hard. It was an upper body day. I hope Alice doesn't need picking up. ;) 

Now to the Funny
Months ago, someone on Facebook posted a link about getting free finger print safety kits for your kids. This seems like a responsible thing to do so I clicked on it.

In my defense - it didn't look hinky. It even has a police officer!! There's no asterisk leading to the teeny tiny details you can't see! 
They ask the usual stuff - name, phone number, address. And then they ask to set a time to come to your house. Nope. I'm out.

They eventually start calling. I accidentally answered once and they're very persuasive and THEY ALREADY HAVE MY ADDRESS so I set a time and planned to be out. Worked out great! We had dinner out and we didn't have to listen to whatever they were selling.

All was well.

Until I answered the phone again.

We set another time and planned to be out or just have the lights out. I TELL my Beloved, "That dude with the kit is supposed to be by tonight around 7ish so we need to have the lights out and look like we're not home." Him, "okay."

We eat dinner (stuffed bell peppers) and while I'm prepping other food for the week, he goes out to put air in his tires. I look out the garage door and he has the garage door open and the lights are on. I tell him again, "Daniel, that dude might come by! Close the garage door!" Him,"surely he'll call first and won't just come by."

Ten minutes later, "so Luis is outside, I'm just going to go ahead and bring him in."

Hells bells. 

This kid (he was born in 1990 but wishes he was born in the 80's because he likes that 'older music'. We found out LOTS about Luis) comes in through the garage and kitchen and says, "man! Something smells really good!"
Daniel - "we had stuffed bell peppers for dinner."
Him - "they smell delicious! I haven't eaten all day!"
Awkward me = "do you want one?"
Him - "SURE!"

So I fed him. What else was I supposed to do?! 

He didn't even ask what was in it. Who eats food at a stranger-dangers house without asking what's in it?! He knew NOTHING about us! THIS could be how we lure our victims!! Does no one watch Criminal Minds anymore?! 

Turns out he's selling life insurance only he's a talker and my husband is a talker and it takes about 30 minutes for him to get to the point. He goes through his speech about how we're going to die and wouldn't it be horrible if we were a burden on our loved ones. He mentions funeral/cemetery costs. Daniel says, "she doesn't want a funeral or a cemetery." He asks me what I want. I say, "I'm going to be cremated and put in a Bio Urn. They'll bury me somewhere and I'm going to be a tree."

He had no response for this.

He tried to emphasize that anyone of us could be killed or dismembered at any moment. Such a Debbie Downer.

He talked until almost 9:30. I can't even.

We finally said we'd have to think about it and showed him out. Yeesh. 

We did get a free "safety" kit although we have to do it ourselves. The ad makes you think a responsible authority figure with years of experience finger printing people is going to help you print your unruly child. Nope. Somehow WE have to figure out how to get an unruly, strong willed child to allow us to roll each finger in ink and press to the paper. One. Finger. At. A. Time. Nope.

I'm never answering the phone again.

Until next time....


No comments: