Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Her Christmas Ki-Ki

She has been heavily attached to the same blanket for years. It happens to be my old baby blanket so it came to her with quite a bit of wear already. And the years have taken its toll on her beloved "Ki-ki". I'm not sure why she started calling it that, but that is what it is. Her Ki-ki. And we do not go anywhere for the night without it. She drags it around the house all day. It is her cape, her sidekick, her security. 

And it is COMPLETELY unraveling. My Beloved has sewn large splits. This picture is actually from a few months ago. By December, the entire middle was a series of holes. She wore it like a poncho. Bless. 

We discussed the need to replace it. We even let her look at new ones. We let her go through her old ones. When it looked like she was just about to move on, she would say, "nebermind, my Ki-ki is pine." And off she goes with the poor, shredded baby blanket. 


We started looking for the materiel a while back, hoping that maybe I could make her a new one. The material is VERY specific. It's a waffle type fabric that isn't too thick and is nice and soft and cold. And completely un-findable. 

I was a complete wreck over what we were going to do. 

While Alice was at Nana's the week before Christmas, we tried the specialty fabric store near the house. It mainly focuses in quilt fabric and items so they didn't have it. They did suggest a different store. So while at dinner, I googled it. The first ad that popped up was for my baby blanket!! The right fabric, the original satin border!! IT WAS IT!! AND IT WAS AT DILLARD'S FOR $12.99!! So we went to the mall. 

HALLELUJAH!!!!!! 

Now to get Alice to accept it......

I had a BRILLIANT plan - let's make Santa do it! She had not been specific on what she wanted from Santa (besides EVERYTHING SHE HAS EVER TOUCHED EVERYWHERE) and since he brought her panties last year, we felt like this year he could help coax her into a new change. We put a lot of pressure on Father Christmas, bless him. 


I found a box and I wrote a note and we left it under the tree. 

When she was ready for presents, we read the note and she grabbed her new Ki-ki.

And she hasn't let go since. 

She drags the new one all over. It is her cape, her sidekick, her security. And I am so relieved. 

I am so thankful for Google and Dillard's and Meyers the Elf and Santa. I'm thankful we finally found a replacement. I'm thankful she loves it. 




The old ki-ki is in the box with the note from Santa where it will remain for safe keeping. It served me and Alice really well and it deserves a little rest. 

Until next time....



No comments: