Thursday, January 26, 2017

Pete and Repeat

I managed to make it to my 30's before I developed a cussing habit. Seriously. 30's. 

So it's really inconvenient that around the time I developed a nasty habit, I would be living with a human sponge. I even blogged about my fears back before she had words. 

Life was easier back then.

As words come up, we will tell her "that's not a very nice word to use" or "you should not say that." She knows which words are appropriate and which are not. 

She will come to find you wherever you are to let you know "they said 'shut up' on the TB!"
Responsible Adult: "Alice, don't say 'shut up'"
Child Too Smart for Her Own Good: "I didn't say it!! So-and-so said it!" *smiley face/blinky eyes, obviously this doesn't count because it's a direct quote. 

She will immediately let you know that you should not say 'dumb' or 'stupid'. She also fusses when you say 'die' or 'killed.'

She has been known to occasionally drop an unsavory word when frustrated. Or when she knows we're frustrated, she will say it preemptively. Just lovely. 

She will also mumble when dissatisfied with an answer.  
Reasonable Adult: "Excuse me?!"
Child Too Smart for Her Own Good: "Noting!"

I'm pretty sure it wasn't 'nothing'! 

She said "what the heck" the other day and I fussed. So she said. "Okay, okay. What in da world."

And now this week. 

A few days ago, I dropped something and said "shoot" (really! I promise! I would TOTALLY confess if that hadn't been the case!)
She immediately jumps in with "Mom, you shouldn't say 'sh&#!"
A Horrified me: "Alice! I did not say 'sh&#'! I said 'shoot'!! Do not say that!"
Alice: "Oh, okay."

And then yesterday I said "oh dang" and again, she immediately chimed in with "don't say 'damn'."
"ALICE!! I didn't say 'damn', I said 'dang'! DO NOT SAY THAT!!!!"
Alice: "Okay, okay! Caln down! Caln down!"

Y'all. We're not going to make it through the teenage years with the amount of sass this child ALREADY exudes. 

Her ability to figure loopholes is staggering. Her vocabulary knowledge is worrisome. 

While some of her words are still hard to understand, ALL of the bad ones come through 100% clear. 

I'm waiting on our call to come to the Principle's office. 

And honestly, we did this to ourselves. ;)

Until next time......

No comments: