Sunday, February 24, 2019

A New Smile

Well, it finally happened. Her smile will forever be changing. 

Let's start at the beginning....

We have been talking to Alice about how her teeth would eventually fall out for larger teeth. Usually she just changes the subject which mostly suits me fine because I DO NOT handle mouth related anything very well. 

Travis popped his tooth out in a Walmart checkout lane once and I nearly fainted.

Nope!

Nonetheless, it's happening and we all need to be prepared. 

A few weeks ago we were at dinner and Alice mentioned her classmate lost her tooth while at school today.
Me: "that's exciting! How do you feel about losing your teeth?"
Alice: "when I yose my teeth, I'm going to put them on a teeth neckyace!"
Me: *eyebrows at my hairline * "this is your father's influence....." (Seriously.)

A few weeks later she came home and said she cried at school. When I asked why, she reluctantly told me it was because her tooth was loose and she's scared. 

We talked about how it's normal and how there is nothing to worry about. It's one of her little bottom teeth and she will not let ANYONE near it. Nope. We never actually saw it wiggle.

She comes home a few days later terrified because her friend told her her tooth was going to fall out on Valentine's Day.

Some time later we were asking about her tooth and the teeth necklace was mentioned again. Again, I questioned this plan. This time she says in frustration, "it's a yittle neckyace with a treasure box! The nurse puts your tooth inside!"

Oh, thank goodness.

Me: "oh! If you lose a tooth at school, you get a little necklace to put your tooth in! That makes way more sense!"
My Beloved: "honestly, I'm a little disappointed...." SEE!!

I am ALL FOR her losing her tooth at school. YES, PLEASE!!!!

I could tell the past few days her little tooth obviously looked a little more out of place than normal. She has been super careful to eat on the opposite side of her mouth.

We're finishing up dinner last night and she suddenly says, "MY TOOTH!!" and sure enough, she's holding her tooth, right next to me.

We quickly calm and congratulate. When she gets a bit shaken, I say sweet, calming things while holding a napkin to the bleeding spot. My Beloved takes the tooth and we all pull ourselves together.

As we were walking out, my Beloved announces, much to the dismay of our daughter and to the confusion of the other guests, that we just lost our first tooth. Alice may never recover. Or eat Mexican food again.

I handled it well and I didn't get emotional until we were in the car. 

My little baby lost her first tooth, y'all. We were just lamenting on growing them last week, I swear!

We decide losing a first tooth should be celebrated and since she is still shaken, we decide a new LOL doll might do the trick. And it did. We stressed this is only for a first tooth and she is currently working on how to negotiate that rule.

We got home and called all the family - this is a HUGE deal!

Many moons ago we received a very lovely Tooth Fairy pillow made by Daniel's Granny. In a moment of clarity, I suggested we put the pillow next to her existing fairy door in the living room so the Tooth Fairy can just share that door with her fairy, Nixie. This means the Tooth Fairy did not forget!! HOLLA!!!

She has many teeth left to lose and her smile will be changing for the next few years.

And I'm thankful she got through her first year of school pictures with all her teeth. ;)

Alice and her new LOL Pet
I am also trying to decide if now is the time to start filling out her baby book. There is a page for losing teeth! Probably there is a page of growing teeth but I skipped it. Maybe I can just staple the middle pages together and tell her not to worry about those. "Nope, not important! It was birth facts and then your teeth fell out! That's it!" 

Or maybe I'll just burn the book before she finds it......probably that's best.

Until next time.....

No comments: